Cinnamon Rolls: Kanelbullar
- 245 ml (1 cup) skim (or whole) milk
- 25 g fresh yeast (or 1 envelope dry active yeast)
- 65 g (1/3 cup) muscovado (or white) sugar
- 420 g (3 ½ cup) whole grain or white flour
- 1 tsp whole cardamom seeds
- ¼ tsp salt
- 75 g (1/3 cup) low-fat yogurt or applesauce
- 75 g (1/3 cup) low-fat yogurt
- 30 g (2 tbsp) muscovado (or white) sugar
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- one small egg (whipped together)
- pearl sugar or sliced almonds
Crumble the yeast (if using dry yeast prepare it as required) in a big bowl. Heat milk until it is warm to the touch. Add the milk to the yeast and stir until yeast has dissolved.
Crush the cardamoms in a mortar and pestle.
Mix together flour, sugar, cardamom and salt before adding it to the milk and yeast mixture. Add in the yogurt or applesauce. Blend well, either by hand or by using a food processor. Knead it well for about 5-10 minutes.
Cover the dough and place in a draft free place and let it rise for at least 40 minutes.
Mix all ingredients for the filling to an even batter.
Divide the dough into two pieces and roll each of them out separately to the shape of a rectangle.
Spread half of the filling onto each piece of rolled out dough so that it covers the entire area. Roll the dough up beginning with the long side. Slice each roll into about 13 equal sized slices and place them with their cut side up on baking sheet.
Let them rise for about 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk the egg and brush all buns and sprinkle pearl sugar or sliced almonds on top.
Bake them in the oven at 225ºC (about 440ºF) for 8-10 minutes.
The recipe is adapted from: http://kokblog.johannak.com/3685/.